The following points are from a recent article on today.com, published by a divorce mediator. If you are in the middle of a divorce or contemplating a divorce in Missouri, these are all excellent points to think about.
10 facts about divorce you should consider:
1. Even if you are the one who wants to get divorced, you may often feel sad, loss, fear, anxiety.
2. Just because you are divorced, all of your problems don’t just disappear. You still need to deal with your ex — particularly if there are children involved.
3. Once the divorce papers are signed, now the real work begins. You need to heal from the emotional turmoil of a bad marriage and learn to be happy alone before you can enter a new relationship.
4. Your kids may not tell you how they feel, though it may come out through their behaviors.
5. Don’t rush through the process, as tempting as that is. Everyone needs time to adjust and make good, clear decisions that you can live with for many years to come.
6. You may lose some friends — the ones you thought would be there for you may not be, and vice versa.
7. Let go of your anger and resentment toward your spouse — this can only hurt you and your children and no good can come from it!
8. Holidays are so hard, especially in the first few years. Start new traditions and make sure you are not alone.
9. Spare your children from bad-mouthing your spouse no matter what: This can actually crush their self-esteem.
10. Don’t rush to start dating again.
Click here to read the full article and further explanations on each of the above points.